PennDOT has announced that Jolly Road is scheduled to close between U.S. 202 (Dekalb Pike) and Walnut Street beginning Thursday, May 13th. The closure is necessary for roadway construction under a project to widen and reconstruct a 2.8-mile section of U.S. 202 (Dekalb Pike) in East Norriton and Whitpain townships, The closure will be in place twenty-four hours/seven days a week through Friday, June 11th.
During the closure, Jolly Road motorists will be directed to use U.S. 202 (Dekalb Pike), Route 73 (Skippack Pike) and Wenz Road. Local access will be maintained for residents in the work zone.
Under this U.S. 202 improvement project, PennDOT is reconstructing and widening U.S. 202 (Dekalb Pike) from two lanes to five lanes with a center turn lane from Township Line Road to just south of Morris Road; installing five-foot bicycle lanes in both directions along the entire project area; and building new sidewalks at various locations along the corridor.
Additional improvements include:
- Reconstructing five box culverts;
- Constructing a sound wall and retaining walls;
- Installing new traffic signals, signing and pavement markings;
- Performing drainage improvements;
- Integrating Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) to improve traffic flow;
- Constructing a wetland mitigation site to compensate for wetlands impact; and
- Removing a portion of a breached dam on the Wissahickon Creek to mitigate stream impacts.