PennDOT has announced that Morris Road will be closed and detoured at the U.S. 202 (Dekalb Pike) intersection beginning Monday, April 12th. The reason is for construction activities under a project to widen and reconstruct nearly three miles of U.S. 202 from south of Morris Road to Hancock Road in Whitpain and Lower Gwynedd townships. The closure will be in place 24/7 through Saturday, May 8.
During the closure, Morris Road motorists will be directed to use U.S. 202 (Dekalb Pike), Route 73 (Skippack Pike) and North Wales Road. Local access will be maintained up to the construction zone.
Under this U.S. 202 project, PennDOT will perform the following roadway and bridge improvements:
- Reconstruct and widen U.S. 202 from two lanes to five lanes with a center turn lane from Morris Road to Grasshopper Lane and from Schoolhouse Lane to Swedesford Road;
- Widen U.S. 202 from two lanes to four lanes with a mountable median curb from the Wissahickon Creek crossing to south of Schoolhouse Lane;
- Install five-foot bicycle lanes in both directions in the five-lane sections;
- Reconstruct the bridge over the Wissahickon Creek;
- Construct two sound walls and three retaining walls;
- Install new signals, signing and pavement markings;
- Perform drainage improvements;
- Integrate Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) to improve traffic flow;
- Reconstruct a wetland channel adjacent to Wissahickon Creek; and
- Reconstruct a stone wall adjacent to the Gwynedd Friends Meetinghouse property.